The Kids Triathlon is all about building the “WOW” factor inside every kid…. whoever they are and wherever they are from. During the YMCA Kids Triathlon, we inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. The YMCA’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being, features a Kids Triathlon to motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home. The 2022 Kids Triathlon will be celebrated on Saturday, June 4 at the Kerasotes YMCA.
Getting Ready for the Triathlon
Register to Train for the Kids Triathlon
Get a head start on training for the YMCA’s Kids Triathlon. Training for a triathlon is a lot of work, so the YMCA is here to help you build your endurance for the big race.
Register for Kids Triathlon
All registrants must complete the Registration Form and Waiver and the TriHarder waiver form. If registering online, the waiver must be signed and collected in advance of the race for the child to participate either at the Free Clinic, Packet Pick-up, or race day morning.
All registrants must have their bike and helmet checked before the triathlon. Registrants who are 5-6 years old must also complete a swim test. Ages 7 and up are not required to complete a swim test, but the option is available if needed. There will be opportunities to complete these checks before race day and the morning of race day. All swim tests will occur in the Kerasotes YMCA competition pool.
- Children ages 5-6 are encouraged to take a swim test, but the test is optional. We will provide plenty of assistance in the pools for your child during the race. If your child does not pass the swim test, they can still participate in the swimming portion of the triathlon, however they will have to wear a US Coast guard approved flotation device, which we will provide.
- Swim test is optional for children ages 7 and up, depending on parent preference.
- Participants who do not pass may need to be assisted by a trained volunteer or certified lifeguard. Questions or concerns about the swim test, please contact Riley Bergman at firstname.lastname@example.org
When and where can registrants take the swim test?
- Weekdays with Alex Totura from 3:30-4:00 PM at Kerasotes. Contact Alex at email@example.com
- Morning of the event with Riley 7-8:45AM
- Your bike must be checked and tagged to participate in the race.
- Bike checks are mandatory. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Bikes can be checked in advance at Wheelfast in Chatham, IL (17 Cottonwood Drive) during regular business hours.
- Bikes may also be checked from 7:30-8:30 AM before the event. We highly encourage you to have your bike checked before the event. Doing this will prevent you from waiting in long lines the day of the event.
- Your helmet must be checked and stickered to participate in the race.
- Helmet checks are mandatory. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Helmets can be checked from 7:30-8:45AM before the event.
FREE Triathlon Clinic
Watch the race day video to learn about where to go for race day check in/packet pickup, distances for each age group, and logistics of the course. Click on the button below to review the frequently asked questions, and if your questions are not on the FAQ, please contact us.
Race Day Information
All children and parents must convene in the gymnasium area at 8:45 a.m. to receive race instruction and timing chips. Once your timing chip is on, you want to make every effort to stay in the gymnasium area so as not to accidentally start the time on your chip. The National Anthem will kick off the morning. 5&6 Splash & Dashers will be the first to start.
- *Volunteers will be placed at all turn-arounds, transitions, and timing mats for every age group.*
- No parents in any Transition Area! Volunteers are on hand to assist children.
- Have your shoes unlaced and laid out – ready to go!
- Have your helmet already unbuckled and on your bike so you can just place it on your head and strap it on!
- Make sure your bike is already in the gear you want it in.
- Bring all of your items in a strong bucket. You can flip it over and use it as a chair when putting your shoes on!
- Have your bib already pinned to the front of your t-shirt.
- Have water near your area in case you need a water break!