Please follow the current mask-wearing policy and wear a mask while entering and using the common spaces, except while engaging in physical activity. Note: YMCA Racquetball League two player matches requires that both players wear masks if tolerable – unless at least one of the two players is fully vaccinated. Bookings are available 1 week in advance. 1 person may book for multiple players. 2 vs 2 recreational play is allowed. Please bring your own equipment or check out rackets and a ball at the front desk using your ID. Please wear non-marking shoes and eye protection. Thank you!
Racquetball Info, Leagues & Court Policies
Co-Ed Multi-level singles match league Open-Scheduling sessions are estimated to be 9 weeks long, but take longer or shorter depending on the number of people registered and if players schedule their weekly matches on-time .
League Times: – Open Scheduling. Currently, courts for league play are not blocked out and players schedule their own weekly matches a week in advance. See more information about Competitive Leagues below.
Planned 2021 League Sessions:
April 5 – July 5 – UNDERWAY
FALL/WINTER – TBA
For League Questions or to get on the mailing list, please call 217- 404-0008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For Court Reservations please reserve court A or B by using our Virtuagym app.
YMCA Court Use Policies Below
- The Downtown YMCA has 2 racquetball courts on the second floor: Court A & B.
- The check-in desk (dial 601) can help with reserving the courts for OTHER USES.
- Make court reservations via our Virtuagym APP or with the check-in desk staff in person, or by calling 217-544-9846. You need to provide your full name, cell phone, activity planned and the name or number of those you will play with. You may not reserve a court for the sole use of others. The person that made the reservation MUST use the court at the reserved time. Reservations can be made one week in advance. All players may be asked to leave a court unless at least one of them has a reservation on that court.
- Adult (16+) YMCA members and racquetball league registrants (members and non-members) may reserve two, 1-hour court times per day up to 1 week in advance. Court reservations are made in 1 hour blocks, up to a maximum of 2 hours in one day.
- If youth (under 16) are present, they must be supervised continually by the reserving adult (16+) or a designated YMCA employee or registered volunteer.
- No food or drink is allowed on the courts.
- YMCA staff may use the courts for other purposes and events, but will post signs to notify racquetball and handball members about these “blackout” dates in advance.
- Reservation holders must occupy their court at the reserved time. Don’t reserve courts that you are not going to use. Courts will be held for 15 minutes following the reserved time, after which the reservation will be canceled for use by someone else.
- The YMCA reserves the right to ask anyone to leave the courts who are not using the courts for their intended use (handball/racquetball competition or check-in desk approved use) and/or anyone without a reservation.
- Further policy details, guidance and interpretation are available at the check-in desk.
Competitive Racquetball League Sessions
- The Downtown YMCA hosts competitive adult (16 and over) co-ed racquetball leagues at several skill levels.
2021 League Sessions coming soon:
- Tell the Racquetball League Coordinator if you want to be notified in advance of league or tournament start dates and other racquetball information. Call or text 217-404-0008.
- The adult racquetball League gives you the opportunity to play at your own level of comfort within skill divisions:
(A) Advanced – Play competitively or is skilled
(B) Intermediate – Played before and has some experience
(C) Beginner – Never played before or littler playing experience
- The League is open to both YMCA members ($20) and non-members ($60).
Look at the league match schedule for your Division. The link to the schedule and roster appear at the top of this page during the league session.
“Home” player is responsible for:
1. Contacting the “Away” opponent to arrange a time and date to play during the scheduled week.
2. Scheduling a court in the YMCA app.
All Racquetball League matches are played at the Downtown facility.
It is important to keep on schedule to avoid delays in finishing the session and starting the next session. Matches must be played the week they are scheduled. There is a two week grace period for scheduling delays. If you are unable to play for a longer period of time, contact the Racquetball League Coordinator who will decide on a case-by-case basis to allow the extended delay or remove you from the game schedule. This can include a reasonable time to complete a COVID vaccination, out-of-town trip, get well if sick, etc., if you can complete the session later even if you must play more than 1 game per week.
Players select skill-based divisions in which to play when registering. Players will be assigned to that level unless the league coordinator feels they should be in a higher skill division based on ranking from previous play at the YMCA and the league coordinator’s judgment. Players may select a division higher than their ranking. League assignment may be changed by combining players from 2 divisions if not enough players (6) are registered in one skill division. Players wishing to play 2 matches (instead or 1) per week may sign up for an additional division but only at the skill level above the division assigned.
Winners are responsible for reporting the scores of each 3-game match. Send all 3 game scores of the match, the division, and date played to the league coordinator (text or voice message to 217-404-0008 or email email@example.com as soon as possible. Both players will get a confirmation from the Racquetball League Coordinator. Please check that your results were posted correctly. In the event of won/loss tie, points and ranking can make the difference in league standings, so play all 3 games each time and report scores correctly. Scores, game schedule, contact information (and updates), and player status will be posted at the link at the top of the page during the league session.
At the end of the session the top two ranked players in each division will get public recognition, and receive a YMCA Racquetball t-shirt.
Please bring your own safety gear, racquets and fresh racquetballs, as we can’t guarantee the YMCA will have these to loan when needed. Always play it safe and follow the safety rules: Use eye protection, wrist straps and calling a “hinder” when you can’t make a play in order to avoid a potential injury to an opponent. Currently, YMCA Racquetball League two player matches requires that both players wear masks – unless at least one of the two players is fully vaccinated.
Springfield Downtown YMCA Racquetball League Coordinator
Call or text 217-404-0008 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ongoing Challenge League
A FREE ongoing racquetball “league” is available. Active YMCA members or current Competitive League contestant may compete with each other at any time during the year.
To compete, prior to the match, send a “challenge” accepted by both players to the YMCA Racquetball Coordinator (text or voice to 217-404-0008). At least one of the players must already have a ranking on the posted list.
After the match is completed, send the results to the YMCA Racquetball Coordinator.
If the lower ranked person wins, they take over the higher rank of the opponent – moving the opponent down 1 rank. Otherwise there is no change in rank. Ranks will be changed by a player winning a match 2 out of 3 games each to 15 points.
Games must be played at the Downtown YMCA and reported to the YMCA Racquetball Coordinator for verification.
Both Challenge and Competitive League matches impact these rankings, except forfeits.
Players that have not reported any matches played in over 2 years, are not able to defend challenges within 30 days, or are otherwise unable or unwilling to play may be removed from the list.
Rankings are used for Competitive League Division placement and tournament bracketing – and just for fun.
CURRENT ONGOING CHALLENGE LEAGUE STATUS – See the link at the top of the page for “CHALLENGE LEAGUE” tab in the last session for players contact information and “Ongoing Challenge League” Racquetball league rankings.
The Ongoing Challenge League is always open and FREE.
Springfield YMCA Racquetball League Rules
Matches are won by winning 2 out of 3 games to 15 points, with 1 point needed to win. Play all 3 games.
The winner of each match will be responsible for reporting the scores to the league coordinators at 217-404-0008 or email email@example.com.
Players with conflicts for a scheduled match must contact their opponent 24 hours prior to the match to reschedule.
Players not showing up for matches within 15 minutes of the scheduled start time forfeit that match at the option of the player that shows up on time. While the late or “no-show” player may contact opponents to reschedule, the on-time opponent has the option to reschedule or take a forfeit.
Eye protection with lenses is mandatory and must meet impact standards for racquetball.
All games must be played at the YMCA’s Downtown facility racquetball courts during regular hours of operation.
To determine first server, lob ball for the “short” line on service box; the closest serves first. Players alternate servers between first and second matches. The player who scored the most points in games one and two serves the third game. If all points are tied after two, lob ball for the “short” line to determine service on third game.
Play safe and call hinders when necessary.
Rules of play will be the United States Racquetball Association rules where they do not conflict with YMCA Racquetball League rules.
Forfeits are assigned at the discretion of the League Coordinator for Competitive League game only. Forfeits do not impact the master “Ongoing Challenge League” rankings.
Players not playing (or reporting results for) all Competitive League games will not receive a Competitive league ranking or be eligible for the Competitive league awards.
To get on the e-mail list to be notified of league activities and updates, or if you have questions, text the Racquetball League Coordinator at 217-404-0008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.